Site Event/Activity record EEM14559 - 1952: HE - Exmoor Flood (Lynmouth Flood)
The flood occurred when 9 inches of rain fell on the Exe Plain and the Chains. This caused a rush of water down the two Lyn Rivers and the Exe and Barle. It resulted in many deaths and much damage to structures such as bridges and houses and several waterways were reordered as a result.
- <1> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 23.
- <2> SEM7298 Monograph: Baker, W.T.. 1969. They Took the Lifeboat up the Mountainside and the Lynmouth Flood Disaster. West Coast Series. Book One.
- <3> SEM7299 Monograph: Prosser, T.. 2004. The Lynmouth Flood Disaster: A Village Guide.
- <4> SEM7520 Monograph: Delderfield, E. R.. 1991. The Lynmouth Flood Disaster. 10th edition.
- <5> SEM7522 Monograph: Prosser, T.. 2001. The Lynmouth Flood Disaster. Lyndale Photographic Publications.
No mapped location recorded.
|Location||Various rivers across Exmoor|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (21)
- MEM23656 1950s bailey bridge on Howetown Lane (Monument)
- MEM23706 19th Century bridge east of Simonsbath Bridge (Building)
- MSO9331 Barle Bridge, Dulverton (Building)
- MEM23601 Brookwood and Winsford Stores, Edbrooke Road, Winsford (Building)
- MDE21144 Bumsley Mill (Monument)
- MEM23790 Demolished country house at Combe Park (Monument)
- MEM24024 Demolished post-medieval house on Chapel Street (Monument)
- MEM23974 Forge, Barbrook (Monument)
- MEM24433 Knaplock Farm (Building)
- MDE21399 Lynrock Mineral Water bottling plant on the East Lyn River (Monument)
- MSO10831 Marsh Bridge (Building)
- MEM23655 Medieval or post-medieval bridge at Exe Bridge (Monument)
- MSO8541 Medieval packhorse bridge near Vicarage Bridge, Winsford (Building)
- MSO10319 Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street, Exford (Building)
- MEM24576 Post-medieval footbridge and ford at Hillsford Bridge (Monument)
- MEM24428 Rockford Lodge, Rockford (Building)
- MSO8673 Tarr Steps clapper bridge over the River Barle (Building)
- MEM23816 The Fox and Goose, Parracombe (Building)
- MSO10783 The Old Vicarage, Winsford (Building)
- MSO8542 Vicarage Bridge, Winsford (Building)
- MSO8545 Winsford Smithy Bridge (Building)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2018 10:59AM