MSO10831 - Marsh Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Marsh Bridge is a road bridge over the River Barle. It is probably 18th century, and was repaired in 1818-1819. The bridge was altered in 1866-1867, when the central pier was removed and the iron bridge inserted. The parapet was destroyed in 1952, and reconstructed in steel 1979-1980. Repairs were done by John Stone in the early 19th century. In the mid 19th century, alterations were carried out by the County Surveyor, Arthur Whitehead, with iron work by Hennet and Spink of Bridgwater. The bridge is constructed with flat bedded local stone, rubble voussoirs and steel. There is latticework in the steel parapet, pyramid topped lattice work piers flanking the centre span, and a recurring motif of St Andrew's Cross. The original use of cast iron was suggested in 1851 by the preceding County Surveyor, Richard Carver.  The bridge was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The Exmoor HER has been advised that the original listing for the bridge  incorrectly states the cross motif is a St Andrew's Cross, when in fact it is a cross pattee. This has arms narrowing towards the centre, but with flat ends. [6,7] The National Heritage List for England description for the heritage asset has been amended to read as follows: Road bridge over River Barle. Probably C18, repaired 1818-9, altered 1866-7 when central pier removed and iron bridge inserted, parapet destroyed 1952, reconstructed in steel 1979-80. Early C19 repairs by John Stone, mid C19 alterations by County Surveyor, Arthur Whitehead, iron work by Hennet and Spink of Bridgewater. Flat bedded local stone, rubble voussoirs and steel. Plan: semi-circular head arched outer bays, centre spanned by steel bridge resting on pointed cutwater piers. Latticework steel parapet, pyramid topped lattice work piers flanking centre span, recurring cross pattee motif. The original use of cast iron was suggested in 1851 by the preceeding County Surveyor Richard Carver. A chapel of ease was erected in the mid C19 on the north bank beside the bridge by John Locke of Northmoor (not included), which burnt down 1908. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SMO5325 Monograph: Buchanan, C.A.+ Buchanan, R.A.. 1980. The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Central Southern England. Batsford.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.16, 117, Photographs.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. G Wills, 4 March 2017.
- <7> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosses_in_heraldry, viewed 6 March 2017.
- <8> SEM8341 Website: Historic England. 2015-. National Heritage List for England website. Referewnce 1247820; viewed 13 March 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9069 2895 (15m by 31m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1648/9/56
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31387
Record last edited
Apr 12 2017 11:16AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.