MEM23880 - Withypool (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The historic core of Withypool has been mapped using historic mapping available to the HER. The settlement may have other buried features outside of this extent. [1-4] An account of how the flood in August 1952 affected Withypool is given in the 1981 Exmoor Review. There was no loss of life but much damage. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 1 September 2017.
- <5> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 22 (1981), "Withypool in the 1952 flood", p67-70 (H Eardley-Wilmot).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8464 3553 (498m by 269m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Local Plan - Historic Core
Record last edited
May 18 2020 1:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.