MDE21089 - Brendon Mill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Mill' shown on six inch 1903 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Building shown on six inch 1962 map but not marked.  There is nothing there apart from remains. The site of the machinery and the outflow of the water are still evident. There was an undershot or low breast wheel originally, with gearing to a saw bench. Mill used by carpenter and wheelwright before 1952 when it was swept away in the flood. The leat used to run from the packhorse bridge further up the river.  The description "Brendon Mill (Corn)" is applied on the 25 inch 1st Edition mapping of 1889  to the building centred at SS 7684 4825. To the east is a feature with the description "Mill Leat". The mill building still survivies at the National Grid Reference cited. Access was not obtained. The mill leat is still visible over some of its length as a ditch 0.6 metres deep in places defined by a hedge on its northern side and lying within private gardens. A weir still survives on the East Lyn River at the start of the leat. In addition, a single span, arched stone bridge carries a road over the leat at SS 7697 4825.  The mill is depicted on the Tithe Map for Brendon and labelled 750, which the Apportionment describes as "House Mill and GArden". The leat is labelled 748 ("Mill Stream") and begins at SS77014825, rejoining the East Lyn River at SS 7680 4826. The site is owned by John Knott Esquire and occupied by Thomas Ley Senior. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 3SE and 3NE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 54.
- <4> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback. 24.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889. [Mapped feature: #46884 ]
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1993.
- <7> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7693 4826 (260m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31107
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/600
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11937
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE30
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002040
Record last edited
Jan 18 2021 4:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.