MSO8545 - Winsford Smithy Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 9055 3489) FB (NAT)  Winsford Smithy Bridge on the River Winn is a 17th Century packhorse bridge with one segmental arch and a roadway width of 4 feet 6 inches.  Scheduled.  The bridge is as described above [11-13].  Winsford Smithy Packhorse Bridge spans to Winn Brook at SS 9055 3488. It is as described by source 2 and is the most picturesque, interesting and important bridge in Winsford on the Winn Brook; it is not, however, scheduled as an ancient monument, this distinction being reserved for a very nondescript Bridge at SS 9062 3490 (SAM Som 197).  Packhorse bridge over Winn Brook. Medieval in origin, restored 1952. Red sandstone random rubble, rubble voussoirs, hit and miss coping. Single span, semi-circular arch bridge. Remains of pebble pathway. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 197). (Photograph in NMR).  A replacement reinforced concrete arch bridge was built close by in 1928 and designed by Edward Stead, County Surveyor. The bridge has a stringcourse and level coping.The bridge is 12 feet in span.  Monument scheduled on 11 August 2003.  There has been confusion as to the scheduled status of this site and whether it was Monument Somerset 197.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The site was surveyed in March 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  A packhorse bridge crossing the River Winn of a medieval date and also an Ancient Monument, but much smaller and lower than MSO8541 to the north with a shallow arched single span, mainly of red sandstone rubble with end-on bedded coping, and some dressed stone to abutment and voussoir. It was restored in 1952.  An historic photograph of the bridge is held by Winsford Archive. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <2> SSO1953 Monograph: Thompson, W.H.. 1934. Somerset Regional Survey. 57.
- <3> SEM7745 Index: Ministry of Works. 1961. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 84.
- <4> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey Field Investigation, 11 August 1965.
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. CFW, 8 July 1986.
- <6> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SSO1209 Monograph: Greenfield, D.. 1998. Somerset's Early Reinforced Concrete Bridges.
- <8> SMO5764 Monograph: Jervoise, E.. 1930. The Ancient Bridges of the South of England. Architectural Press. 110.
- <9> SSO1136 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 20/8/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <10> SSO2039 Unassigned: Webster, Chris Somerset County Council. 26/8/2003.
- <11> SMO5 Photograph: FROM SOUTH. 99/E/14. B/W.
- <12> SMO4 Photograph: FROM NORTH. 99/E/13. B/W.
- <13> SMO1402 Photograph: WINSFORD SMITHY BRIDGE - 17TH CENTURY PACKHORSE BRIDGE AT WINSFORD FROM NORTH WEST. OS65/F185/7. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <14> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <15> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <16> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <17> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 14-15.
- <18> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. Image: 19.
- <19> SEM8357 Archive: Winsford History Society. Various. Winsford Archive.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9054 3488 (2m by 7m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/19/153
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10785
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12000
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36700
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34637
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31286
Record last edited
Sep 28 2016 11:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.