MDE1074 - Memorial Stone in the Parracombe Bridge Foundations (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An inscribed stone was built into the foundation of the bridge at Parracombe village in about 1775. It previously stood very near Holwill Castle. (1) A probably early medieval memorial stone possibly still exists in an inaccessible position in the foundations of the bridge in Parracombe Village (SS 66764480). A stone which was once at Holwell, Parracombe (SS 667446), bearing nearly twenty letters with indenting between, was described by the Reverend Samuel Badcock. He had gone to look at it, but found that it had been removed some years before. (2) The stone is probably still within the bridge, which was widened in 1864. (4) Parracombe Bridge was washed away in the Lynmouth Flood Disaster of 1952. Subsequently the river bed was widened and the bridge rebuilt (local information). There is now no evidence for the alleged memorial stone. (5) The stone is thought to be from the Dark Ages. (6)
- <1> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. P.386-387.
- <2> SEM7576 Monograph: Polwhele, R.. 1793. Historical Views of Devonshire. Cadell, Dilly and Murray. 1.
- <3> SDE93407 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1913. A Romano-British Inscribed Stone Between Parracombe and Lynton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 45. P.275.
- <4> SMO5658 Monograph: Quinnell, N.V. + Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. P.32.
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. 01/10/1993.
- <6> SDE64407 Article in serial: Fowler, M.J.F.. 1993. Standing Stones of Exmoor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 125. p 170.
|Grid reference||SS 6676 4480 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34753 (Pastscape entry: 34753)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2081
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/15
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20141
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE32
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34753
Record last edited
Dec 4 2014 5:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.