MSO9335 - Dulverton (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Dulverton was a small medieval town.  Dulverton was a medieval town, first mentioned in 1306, when a market and three day fair were granted. It is likely to have been a pre-existing agricultural settlement. In 1340, it was granted to the Augustinian priory at Taunton, but began a long process of decline. In 1555, it was said to be "very populous and in decay and the poor inhabitants now in great want". The economy was based on the woollen industry. In 1568 a survey shows 6 mills, 6 dovecotes, 20 cottages and 20 crofts.  The settlement existed before Domesday, in which Dulverton is recorded as a royal manor. Under the Turbervilles, to whom it was granted by William I, the manor remained intact until the late 12th century, when it entered a period of fragmentation until the mid 14th century, by which time Taunton Priory had gained control of the entire manor. In the mid 16th century inhabitants of Dulverton established a measure of self government in the form of a borough.  Dulverton had early importance as a fording place and as a centre for hunting in the Royal Forest of Exmoor. In 1086, Dulverton was a royal manor and during the medieval period came into the hands of Taunton Priory. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, in the 1540s, possession reverted to the King. Under Philip and Mary, control of Dulverton's affairs was handed to ten local citizens, one of whom, a Sydenham, purchased the manor in 1568. The manor remained wholly in Sydenham hands until the later 18th century, but by 1818 was already largely broken up. In 1858 the Sydenhams sold their remaining holdings to the Earl of Carnarvon, who had a residence at the nearby Pixton Park.  Dulverton was originally 'dieglaford' - the hidden ford. Several ridgeways converge on Dulverton, where it provides a sheltered crossing over the River Barle.  Dulverton was recorded as 'Dolvertune' in Domesday records. The presence of six mills, recorded in 1568, suggests an active woollen industry.  Dulverton Conservation Area was designated in December 1994. The character appraisal prepared in the early 2000s discusses the origins of the village and its buildings in more detail.  The Black Death, in the 1340s, halved the population of Dulverton and its surrounding area.  Dulverton was struck by cholera in 1834, causing 46 deaths.  The historic core of Dulverton was deduced using historic mapping available to the HER. [2,15-16]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Aston, M. Somerset County Council. 29/03/1976.
- <2> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO5527 Monograph: Aston, M. + Leech, R.. 1977. Historic Towns in Somerset. Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. Survey Number 2. P.42-44, Maps.
- <4> SSO1206 Article in serial: Green, E.. 1883. History of Dulverton. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 29.
- <5> SSO1926 Monograph: Shell, F.J.. 1924. Dulverton and District.
- <6> SSO421 Photograph: 1984. Slide 3.009.0032.
- <7> SEM7171 Aerial photograph: Griffith, F.. 1980s-1990s. Oblique aerial photographs of the Devon part of Exmoor National Park. DAP OY2-4. 1989.
- <8> SEM7307 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Dulverton High Street Archaeological Watching Brief Report. P.1.
- <9> SEM7072 Report: Green, T., Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R.. Woodliving, Dulverton, Somerset: Results of an Archaeological Building Survey and Desk-Based Study. P.5.
- <10> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. Inside font cover map. P.5.
- <11> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.3, 4, 8.
- <12> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal.
- <13> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.9.
- <14> SEM7541 Monograph: Siraut, M.. 2009. Exmoor: The Making of an English Upland. Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1st Edition. P.26, 35-39, 46, 56, 63, 73, 82, 94-97, 99-101, 117-118, 136, 156, Map.
- <15> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <16> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 913 281 (745m by 1101m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (5)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=900084 (Pastscape entry: 900084)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11211
- Local Plan - Historic Core
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 900084
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33543
Record last edited
Jul 24 2019 4:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.