MDE11756 - Post-medieval limekiln on the east side of the River Lyn at Lynmouth (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 72373 49496. A limekiln is depicted on a print dated 1814. It is located on the eastern side of the River Lyn at Lynmouth. Bright's Map of 1824 does not show the kiln.  The 1904 Ordnance Survey map shows an unannotated rectangular feature with a circular interior - probably the kiln.  It was possibly destroyed in the flood of 1952 as its site is now covered by a massive embankment wall built after the floods.  A site visit in 1996 confirmed the absence of remains. The landowner was recorded as Rev. Thomas Roe on the Lynmouth Tithe Map. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. 1814 pen & ink print in the possession of Dr E Mold, Lynton, North Devon.
- <2> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. Map 126.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon Sheet 3(9).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SEM7080 Report: Holley, S.. 1997. An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor for the Purposes of Conservation. Site number 026, Appendix 9.
|Grid reference||SS 7237 4949 (point) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926381 (Original Monarch entry: 926381)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial & tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial and tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial and tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53805
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/228
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21534
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926381
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.