MDE11756 - Post-medieval limekiln on the east side of the River Lyn at Lynmouth (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 72373 49496. A limekiln is depicted on a print dated 1814. It is located on the eastern side of the River Lyn at Lynmouth . Bright's Map of 1824 does not show the kiln  but the 1904 Ordnance Survey map shows an unannotated rectangular feature with a circular interior - probably the kiln . It was possibly destroyed in the flood of 1952 as its site is now covered by a massive embankment wall built after the floods.  A site visit in 1996 confirmed the absence of remains. The landowner was recorded as Rev. Thomas Roe on the Lynmouth Tithe Map. [5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. 1814 pen & ink print in the possession of Dr E Mold, 10 Longmead, Lynton, North Devon.
- <2> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. 114-224. Map 126.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon Sheet 3(9).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1993.
- <5> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM7080 Report: Holley, S.. 1997. An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor for the Purposes of Conservation. Site number 026, Appendix 9.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 926381, Extant 15 December 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7237 4949 (point) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926381 (Original Monarch entry: 926381)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial & tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial and tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial and tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53805
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/228
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21534
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 926381
Record last edited
Dec 15 2021 4:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.