MEM23790 - Demolished country house at Combe Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch drawing of 1804, although this may be due to the scale of the map involved.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows a large group of rectangular buildings arranged in a square to form a courtyard, centred around SS 7365 4751 and labelled "Combe Park" [sic] and "Revd Mr Scott". There are further peripheral structures to the south and southwest of the main buildings. These are together labelled as land parcel 1313, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "House Offices and Garden", within "Coombe Park" [sic]. The parcel forms part of the lands both owned and occupied by the Reverend John James Scott. There is a note adjacent to the site that reads "Several alterations took place about this House during the time of Survey / marked on the ground + all right now."  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, all of the buildings within this area had been cleared. It appears that by this stage, the building to the north (MEM22351) has become the main building within this land holding.  At some point between the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map being published and the modern MasterMap data being depicted, the course of the Hoaroak Water has been straightened and now flows through the site. The old course of the water course can still be seen and the Parish Boundary with Brendon still follows this. [4,5] N.B. The site has been mapped on the HER's GIS system using the georeferenced version of the Tithe Map data but it is not clear how accurately this has been positioned, due to the alteration of the original course of the Hoaroak Water. [2,6]
- <1> SEM8118 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1804. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map - Barnstaple, Devon. 1:63,360. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1313.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 7 March 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7363 4749 (97m by 75m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (13)
- Parent of: 19th Century gardens northeast of Combe Park House (Monument) (MEM23791)
- Parent of: 19th Century gate piers south of Shamble Way (Monument) (MEM23796)
- Parent of: 19th Century gate piers southwest of Combe Park (Monument) (MEM23795)
- Parent of: 19th Century gate piers southwest of Combepark Wood (Monument) (MEM23793)
- Parent of: 19th Century gate piers west of Combe Park Hotel (Monument) (MEM23792)
- Parent of: 19th Century gate piers west of Combepark Wood (Monument) (MEM23794)
- Parent of: 19th Century park at Combe Park (Monument) (MEM23801)
- Parent of: 19th Century walled garden west of Combe Park country house (Monument) (MEM23797)
- Parent of: Combe Park Hotel (Building) (MEM22351)
- Parent of: Gazebo north of Combe Park Hotel (Building) (MEM22353)
- Parent of: Post-medieval agricultural building north of Combe Park Hotel (Monument) (MEM23798)
- Parent of: Post-medieval orchard north of Combe Park Hotel (Monument) (MEM23799)
- Parent of: Post-medieval pool south of Combe Park (Monument) (MEM23800)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 14 2017 8:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.