MDE21143 - Post-medieval footbridge at Heddon Valley Mill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A footbridge is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] The bridge is also shown on the six inch 1963 map.  The bridge is still apparently extant.  In the 1940s, a pedestrian bridge across the Heddon River was adjacent to an associated ford (MDE21142) and was situated by Bumsley Mill (MDE21144), giving access from Killington/Hunter's Inn Road to Bumsley Lane, which headed up to the Parracombe/Heale road. During the flood of August 1952, the access road was severely undermined; this was temporarily repaired by the Royal Engineers, who also installed a new footbridge. 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46748 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM340787 Unpublished document: Hutchins, J.. 2020. MDE21144 - Bumsley Mill (Monument). pp 1,3.
|Grid reference||SS 6568 4592 (point) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31430
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/92
Record last edited
Oct 21 2020 10:01AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.