MDE11697 - Former course of the Barbrook at West Ilkerton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible artificial water course is located west of West Ilkerton, at SS70304658. [1-3] Since the 1952 floods the Barbrook appears to have been recut and improved in several places throughout this section to consolidate the channel. This has left fragments of the old course and flood banks evident, but no trace of an artificial water course or leat, as suggested by McDonnell, was found in this area.  The earthworks identified by McDonnell, described above, have been transcribed from the aerial photographs referenced [2,3] as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme survey. However, it is the opinion of this authority that the channel is simply a former route of the Barbrook and is natural in origin. It has been transcribed to confirm its route and remove the potential of confusing this feature with the water meadow gutters further to the east. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7046B.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3055-6. 11/04/1947.
- <3> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/13/059. -/05/1977.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173. Hegarty, C. 15/02/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7024 4661 (166m by 197m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926123 (Original Monarch entry: 926123)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17884
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/49
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20498
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO341
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW42
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926123
Record last edited
May 20 2013 2:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.