MDE11752 - Lethan's or New Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7012 4719. An unnamed mill is depicted on the 1809 1" Ordnance Survey map at the site of the present New Mill buildings.  A building is shown here on the 1840 Tithe Map and annotated Lethans's Mill. It is described on the Apportionment as mill offices owned by Rev Thomas Roe and occupied by a William Latham (sic).  The 1887 and 1904 Ordnance Survey maps show the buildings annotated as New Mill. [3,4] These buildings were severely damaged by the floods of 1952 and left derelict though they have recently been renovated. It is not possible to identify the actual mill itself. Part of the mill leat survives. From the Barbrook to SS 70086 46982 it has been destroyed, presumably in the flood, but from there to the buildings at SS 70115 47199 it is now a dry course, much silted and heavily overgrown by vegetation. It is still traceable (apart from a section of about 20m at SS 70104 47145 which has been obliterated) as a terrace about 1.5m to 2m wide on the east side of a hedge. It is doubtful if the tail race into the Barbrook at the north end of the present renovated building is original.  It is believed the miller in 1684 was a Mr Locke. 
- <1> SSO1424 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1" 1st edition.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1887, Devon Sheet 6(4).
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon Sheet 6(4).
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. 65. A5 Paperback. 119.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7011 4717 (16m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926368 (Original Monarch entry: 926368)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/198
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37535
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21276
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW82
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926368
Record last edited
Nov 21 2014 12:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.