MDE11745 - Lynbridge Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A site visit in 1974 noted that the wheel and most of the machinery had gone, apart from three bedstones and one runner stone which were still in situ. It was believed to have an overshot wheel made of cast iron with wooden buckets. The buildings were in a very dilapidated condition and a local resident did not remember the mill working after 1889. The mill was said to have been built by Mr Bill Jones about 200 years ago and on certain days of the week it was used as a saw mill. After 1890 a water turbine was installed. It was destroyed by the 1952 floods.  The mill is said to have been built in about 1789.  SS 74 NW 79. SS 7204 4862. A building formerly a mill is situated on the W bank of the West Lyn River at Lynbridge. It is now known as Lynbridge Mill. It appears on the 1840 Lynton Tithe Map annotated 'Mill'; the mill-leat, wheel and race are also depicted.  The mill is shown on the 1887 OS map annotated 'Lynton Mill' (Corn).  Perhaps because of this, authority  suggests a mill at Lynton (referred to in the 1086 Domesday Book) may have been on this site. The building was also used as a saw mill.  There was a weir across the West Lyn (shown on the 1887 OS map  at SS 72018 48592) which diverted water via a culvert to the launder which fed what is believed to have been a cast-iron overshot wheel with wooden buckets. After 1890 a water turbine was installed. The mill does not appear to have been in use after 1889. [2-4] The mill, along with the leat, wheel and race, was largely destroyed in the 1952 flood although the building has since been renovated and is now in use as a dwelling. The footings of the weir are still evident. Southwest of the mill at SS 7202 4860 there was an associated smithy with the smith's house next to it at SS 7203 4861. These are now dwelling houses called respectively 'The Forge' and Blacksmith's Cottage'.  The mill and adjoining cottage have recently been reconstructed as modern dwelling houses. The owner's house is in the new building which has replaced the original mill house. A single spindle cog in the front garden was the only remnant of the machinery to be seen. The remains of the weir and culvert can be seen in the river bed, but nothing else remains. 
- <1> SEM7958 Unpublished document: North Devon Archaeological Society. Site visit. 1974 (perhaps mentioned in ?).
- <2> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 5, 45.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1887, Devon Sheet 3(13).
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 February 1994.
- <6> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. 65. A5 Paperback. 75.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7204 4862 (30m by 28m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926347 (Original Monarch entry: 926347)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/161
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31079
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21061
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW79
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926347
Record last edited
Jul 25 2016 4:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.