MSO8107 - Tank training circuit B on Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The remains of a WWII tank training circuit lie on Selworthy Beacon at SS 9200 4810. It was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The remains comprise a triangular circuit, 150 metres East-West and 140 metres North-South, constructed of local stone. The corresponding target railway is recorded as SS 94 NW 114. Approach roads led to the circuit from the East and South from Hill Road. A further road leads from the W corner of the circuit towards the circuit on Bossington Hill. (1-2) The tank circuit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs and is as described above. A source suggests that these were possibly built by conscientious objectors during the war. This is one of three tank circuits built on North Hill for tank training (MMO627). [3-7] One of three triangular trackways used for tank gunnery training.  Known as B Range Firing Triangle. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 94 NW 158.
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS9248/3 (DAP 6805/04) (15 May 1990).
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 4011-4012 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SEM7687 Website: 2007. http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/exmoor/parsonssummary2.htm#2/2.
- <6> SSO129 Aerial photograph: 1990. DAP QL3-4.
- <7>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #38329 ]
- <8> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, September 1997.
- <9> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Adrian James, Email to Somerset County Council, 14 June 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9197 4810 (192m by 169m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Possible World War Two ammunition store on Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO8106)
- Parent of: World War Two observation post south of Tank Circuit B (Monument) (MEM24900)
- Part of: World War Two tank training range at Bossington and North Hill and Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MMO627)
- Related to: Target railway B, north of Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO8084)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132651 (Pastscape entry: 1132651)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO952
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12323
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW158
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132651
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35511
Record last edited
Nov 17 2020 1:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.