MSO8107 - Tank training circuit B on Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The remains of a WWII tank training circuit lie on Selworthy Beacon at SS 9200 4810. It was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The remains comprise a triangular circuit, 150 metres East-West and 140 metres North-South, constructed of local stone. The corresponding target railway is recorded as SS 94 NW 114. Approach roads led to the circuit from the East and South from Hill Road. A further road leads from the W corner of the circuit towards the circuit on Bossington Hill. (1-2) The tank circuit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs and is as described above. A source suggests that these were possibly built by conscientious objectors during the war. This is one of three tank circuits built on North Hill for tank training (SS 94 NW 64). (3-5 + 8) One of three triangular trackways used for tank gunnery training. (6) Known as B Range Firing Triangle. (7)
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley H 1998.
- <2> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 94 NW 158.
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS9248/3 (DAP 6805/04). 15/05/1990.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 4011-4012. 11/07/1946.
- <5> SEM7687 Website: 2007. http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/exmoor/parsonssummary2.htm#2/2.
- <6> SSO2080 Verbal communication: Webster, CJ. Sept 1997. Comments from Somerset HER staff.
- <7> SSO1281 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 14/6/2006. Email to SCC.
- <8> SSO129 Aerial photograph: 1990. DAP QL3-4.
- <9> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9197 4810 (192m by 169m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Possible World War Two ammunition store on Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO8106)
- Parent of: World War Two dugout on Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO8105)
- Part of: World War Two tank training range at Bossington and North Hill and Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MMO627)
- Related to: Target railway B, north of Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO8084)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132651 (Pastscape entry: 1132651)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO952
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12323
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW158
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132651
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35511
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 4:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.