MSO8106 - Possible World War Two ammunition store on Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large rectangular hollow lies south of Selworthy Beacon, close to Hill Road, at SS 9192 4775. It was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The hollow is 20 by 5 by 1.3 metres deep. Its function is unclear, but it was may have been the location of a building associated with the tank training range on Selworthy Beacon. It is visible on the 1946 aerial photographs. [1,2] The possible remains of a Second World War structure are visible on aerial photographs. The remains are defined by an area of disturbed ground where tank tracks crisscross the area. [3,4] Possibly the site of an ammunition store, for armoured vehicles using the Firing track on Range B, Selworthy Beacon. It is located at the junction of the main range road and the Range B branch road. 
- <1> SSO355 Aerial photograph: 1946. RAF 106G/UK 1655.
- <2>XY SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998. [Mapped feature: #46784 ]
- <3> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP). Amanda Dickson, 11 May 2007.
- <4> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Adrian James, 19 June 2006.
|Grid reference||SS 9192 4775 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132604 (Original Monarch entry: 1132604)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO950
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12659
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW157
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132604
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35871
Record last edited
Nov 2 2020 8:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.