MEM24900 - World War Two observation post south of Tank Circuit B (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large amorphous mound lies to the south of the tank firing circuit on Selworthy Beacon at SS 9195 4803. It was recorded using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The mound is 23 by 18 by 1.2 metres high. It is probably a mound of rubble resulting from the demolition of structures associated with the tank training circuit.  A possible Second World War observation post was visible during field investigation. The post is defined by a large circular mound measuring up to 1.2 metres high with a diameter of 23 metres. The mound is clearly visible on aerial photographs and is thought to be associated with the adjacent tank training circuit (MSO8107) and would have been used as part of the wider tank training activities in the area recorded as MMO627. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-79013 162-163.
- <4>XY SMO7542 Archive: Dickson, A.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #46814 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1132603, Extant 12 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9195 4802 (41m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW156
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1132603
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35870
Record last edited
May 12 2022 11:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.