MSO7661 - Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A barrow 16 paces in diameter and 2 feet high covered with heather (Minehead Without 9). Visited by Grinsell 11 September 1959.  This is a truncated cairn.  A truncated cairn mainly covered in heather, some gorse, bracken and grass. In reasonably good condition.  A mound 0.6 metres high and 10.8 metres in diameter with a hole in the centre exposing stones.  Wrongly identified by the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division and D Thackray as Grinsell's Minehead Without 7.  A Bronze Age burial cairn, part of group east of Selworthy Beacon, was surveyed as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. It was recorded using differential GPS and lies at NGR SS 92542 47894. The cairn comprises a a low, circular mound 16 metres in diameter and 1 metre high. There is a small central depression, indicating some disturbance. The mound is heather and gorse covered, and stone is exposed in the southern section of the mound. The cairn lies just to the west of the road to West Myne Farm.  The cairn is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of the area.  Scheduling revised with new national number (was Somerset 345) on 3 September 2002.  SS 925 479. Group of Cairns East of Selworthy Beacon. Scheduled.  Of the group of 11 cairns on the ridge of Selworthy Beacon, 2 or 3 were open in 1807 by Richard Fenton. Only charcoal was recovered.  The cairn is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The cairn is centred at SS 9254 4789 and is as described as in . It appears to have suffered some disturbance from military activity during the Second World War. [12-14] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  The cairn is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 7, 36.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 July 1965.
- <3> SSO341 Unassigned: July 1976. NT Ancient Monuments Record.
- <4> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 5 April 1984.
- <6> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 34(3).
- <8> SSO1162 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 16/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council (16/9/2002) in HER files.
- <9> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 20.
- <10> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978.
- <11> SEM7688 Monograph: Barrister, A.. 1811. A Tour in Quest of Geneology, through several parts of Wales, Somersetshire, and Wiltshire. Sherwood, Neely and Jones. P. 131.
- <12> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9248/1/208 (SF1459) (1 March 1979).
- <13> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <14> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <15> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <16> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <17>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38505 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 92547 47895 (21m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7662)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7663)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7654)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7655)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7656)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7657)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7658)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7659)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7660)
- Related to: Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7653)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1123258 (Original Monarch entry: 1123258)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO775
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11431
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7578
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW110
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1123258
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36806
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33805
Record last edited
Nov 17 2020 1:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.