MMO2341 - Drainage System, Great Buscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A very large area of post medieval, probably 19th century parallel drainage ditches is visible as earthworks across Great Buscombe and Trout Hill, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7772 4184, the ditches run in avariety of directions, mostly following the contours of Great Buscombe and Trout Hill, with the total drainage system covering an area of approximately 162 hectares. At the southern edge of Great Buscombe, the ditches appear to have been recut, and form a criss-cross pattern. In several areas, the ditches are cut by 19th century field boundaries, some of which appear on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889. This would indicate that the drainage system had been abandoned some time prior to publication, and the field boundaries constructed over it. According to the Somerset HER, the size of the channels is variable; however some measure up to 1.5 metres wide and 0.8 metres deep. The ditches were most likely cut as part of the Knight family's attempt at improvement. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor, but failed to provide adequate drainage for the land to be enclosed. Other similar ditches are visible in the surrounding areas, some draining into natural streams and water courses, others appearing to drain into contour leats. Many of the ditches are associated with areas of peat cutting. (1-6)
- --- SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. P. 32-33.
- <1> SSO1482 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889. 1:2500 1st edition, Somerset.
- <2> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
Website: Toms, K.T.. World Wide Web page. Somerset County Council. 2008. Somerset Historic Environment Record. <
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 966-67 29/04/1973.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 934-36 29/04/1973.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 107-09 12/03/1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7801 4237 (2897m by 2146m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475743 (Pastscape entry: 1475743)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475743
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18810
Record last edited
Sep 4 2017 8:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.