MMO2338 - 19th Century drainage ditches on East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An area of regular post-medieval drainage ditches is visible on aerial photographs on East Pinford, Exmoor. The ditches were most likely cut as part of the Knight family's attempt at improvement, probably at the same time as the construction of Warren Farm around 1845. Centred at approximately SS 7983 4180, the ditches run in a number of different directions, apparently channeling water towards the un-named stream between East and West Pinford, and cover an area of approximately 38 hectares. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor, but in some areas failed to provide adequate drainage for the land to be enclosed . Large areas of Exmoor were successfully drained, although it appears that this area, which is still open and boggy moorland was not one of them. Other similar ditches are visible in the surrounding areas, some draining into natural streams and water courses, others appearing to drain into the various contour leats. Many of the ditches are associated with areas of peat cutting. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE60980 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK 1980. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. 3086. 1980 3159-60 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. P. 32-33.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32980 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475726, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7974 4188 (936m by 911m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Related to: 19th Century contour leat from Great Buscombe to Swap Hill (Monument) (MSO7020)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on Swap Hill (Monument) (MMO2459)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on West Pinford (Monument) (MMO2340)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on West Pinford (Monument) (MMO2344)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage system at Great Buscombe and Trout Hill (Monument) (MMO2341)
- Related to: Post-medieval drainage ditch northeast of East Pinford (Monument) (MMO2368)
- Related to: Post-medieval land drainage system at Elsworthy (Monument) (MSO10400)
- Related to: Post-medieval or modern pond on East Pinford (Monument) (MSO7099)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475726 (Pastscape entry: 1475726)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE187
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475726
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 12:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.