MMO2406 - Post-medieval field boundary on Trout Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A curvilinear earthwork bank is visible on aerial photographs on the north end of Trout Hill, Exmoor. Centred at SS 7828 4202, the bank runs roughly north to south, apparently connecting at its southern end with the extant boundary constructed by the Knight family after their acquisition of the former Royal Forest. It measures over 500 metres in length, terminating at its northern end just south of The Warren, close to the propsed route of the Exmoor Mineral Railway. Unlike the extant boundary, the nearby drainage ditches are not cut by this feature, which suggests that this bank predates both the drainage system and the extant boundary. The bank it is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication in 1889. The precise function of the bank is uncertain - it may have been intended as the original route of the extant boundary and altered shortly after construction. The close association with the Exmoor Mineral Railway suggests that it may have been intended as a branch line, although there is no documentary evidence for this. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3158-59 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32943 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1476519, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7829 4178 (116m by 530m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1476519 (Pastscape entry: 1476519)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE255
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1476519
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 11:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.