MMO2340 - 19th Century drainage ditches on West Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of post-medieval, probably 19th Century parallel drainage ditches is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on West Pinford, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7899 4191, the ditches mostly run east to west, following the contours of the slope, and cover an area of approximately 66 hectares. The ditches were most likely cut as part of the Knight family's attempt at improvement following their acquisition of the former Royal Forest in 1820. According to Orwin , many miles of drainage ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor, but failed to provide adequate drainage for the land to be enclosed. Other similar ditches are visible to the east and west, some draining into natural streams and water courses, others appearing to drain into contour leats. In places these other areas are cut by later 19th Century enclosure walls. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3158-60 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. P. 32-33.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32981 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475739, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7893 4190 (1188m by 954m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Part of: Post-medieval land drainage system on Trout Hill, East and West Pinford and Beckham (Monument) (MSO10399)
- Related to: 19th Century contour leat from Great Buscombe to Swap Hill (Monument) (MSO7020)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on East Pinford (Monument) (MMO2338)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on Swap Hill (Monument) (MMO2459)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on West Pinford (Monument) (MMO2344)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage system at Great Buscombe and Trout Hill (Monument) (MMO2341)
- Related to: Drainage System, Sparcombe Water Head (Monument) (MMO2467)
- Related to: Post-medieval land drainage system at Elsworthy (Monument) (MSO10400)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475739 (Pastscape entry: 1475739)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE189
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475739
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18810
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 12:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.