MMO2467 - Post-medieval drainage system at Sparcombe Water Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A system of at least seven post-medieval drainage ditches is visible on aerial photographs at Sparcombe Water Head. The ditches were possibly cut as part of the Knight family's attempt at agricultural improvement associated with the construction of Tom's Hill Farm around 1850. Centred on approximately SS 8193 4149, this drainage system covers an area of roughly 0.7 hectares. Similar, but much more extensive drainage systems are visible to the north and west towards Warren Farm, some draining into natural streams and water courses, others appearing to drain into the various contour leats. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor, but this technique did not address the underlying issue of compacted ironpan soils and failed to provide adequate drainage for improvement. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 3162-4 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SSO1774 Monograph: Orwin, C.S. + Sellick, R.J.. 1970. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. David and Charles Limited. 2nd Edition.
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #47408 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477860, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8191 4149 (97m by 111m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on Swap Hill (Monument) (MMO2459)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on West Pinford (Monument) (MMO2340)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage system at Great Buscombe and Trout Hill (Monument) (MMO2341)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage system on Lanacombe (Monument) (MSO7104)
- Related to: Post-medieval land drainage system at Elsworthy (Monument) (MSO10400)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477860 (Pastscape entry: 1477860)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW 232
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477860
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.