MSO7104 - 19th Century drainage system on Lanacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 7780 4290 is an extensive system of 19th Century drainage ditches, covering most of Lanacombe, and presumably associated with the Knight's improvements on Exmoor.  An extensive system of post medieval, probably 19th Century drainage ditches are visible as earthworks on Lanacombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7780 4290, the drainage system extends across an total area of approximately 79 hectares. In the southern half of the system, the drains mostly run from south to north, presumably draining into Hoccombe Water. The remainder of the ditches run approximately east to west, and appear to drain into a large leat west of the enclosure at Lanacombe, which in turn runs into Hoccombe Water. The ditches were most likely cut as part of the Knight family's attempt at improvement. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor, but failed to provide adequate drainage for the land to be enclosed. Other similar ditches are visible in the surrounding areas, some draining into natural streams and water courses, others appearing to drain into contour leats. Many of the ditches are associated with areas of peat cutting. [2-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 August 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 870-72 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 099-100 (12 March 1995).
- <4> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 32-33.
- <5>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38295 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1041443, Extant 26 May 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7740 4259 (1403m by 931m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Related to: 19th Century drainage ditches on Swap Hill (Monument) (MMO2459)
- Related to: Drainage Ditches, Beckham and East Pinford Hill (Monument) (MMO2473)
- Related to: Drainage System, Great Buscombe (Monument) (MMO2341)
- Related to: Drainage System, Sparcombe Water Head (Monument) (MMO2467)
- Related to: Post-medieval contour leat on Lanacombe (Monument) (MMO2365)
- Related to: Post-medieval land drainage system at Elsworthy (Monument) (MSO10400)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1041443 (Pastscape entry: 1041443)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO484
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE126
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1041443
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18810
Record last edited
May 26 2021 10:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.