MEM23791 - 19th Century gardens northeast of Combe Park House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch drawing of 1804, although this may be due to the scale of the map involved.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows an area of formal gardens at SS73674754. This is situated in a broadly triangular plot of land between the Hoaroak Water to the east, the 19th Century house at Combe Park (MEM23790, to the southwest) and an access road to the house to the northwest. The gardens appear to include a series of geometric shapes and a pond at the northern end. The gardens are within the land parcel associated with the country house and labelled 1313, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "House Offices and Garden", within "Coombe Park" [sic]. The parcel forms part of the lands both owned and occupied by the Reverend John James Scott.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the country house to the southwest had been demolished and the gardens and pond are no longer depicted, although they may still have existed in some form.  At some point between the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map being published and the modern MasterMap data being depicted, the course of the Hoaroak Water has been straightened and now flows through the site. The old course of the water course can still be seen and the Parish Boundary with Brendon still follows this. [4,5] N.B. The site has been mapped on the HER's GIS system using the georeferenced version of the Tithe Map data but it is not clear how accurately this has been positioned, due to the alteration of the original course of the Hoaroak Water. 
- <1> SEM8118 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1804. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map - Barnstaple, Devon. 1:63,360. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1313.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 7 March 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7366 4753 (38m by 54m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 7 2017 12:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.