MEM22353 - Gazebo north of Combe Park Hotel (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Gazebo. c1840. Rubble, slate roof (renewed 1993/4) with lead hips and crown. A small freestanding octagonal building approx 10 metres north of Combe Park Hotel (qv), on high land. Picturesque Tudor Gothic style. Six two light stone mullioned small pane casements including margin panes, with pointed heads to the lights, and moulded drip courses to stops, on steep weathered stone cills. On the southwestern side is a door in four centred opening, and to the northeast a rubble stack. INTERIOR has a small stone fire surround with moulded four centred head.  The site is shown as a clear plot on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch drawing of 1804, although this may be due to the scale of the map involved.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth Parish depicts a circular building with a possible entrance porch to the southeast at SS 7364 4757, within the same plot of land as MEM22351 in an apparent area of garden. These together are labelled 1312 and "Dairy", which the accompanying Apportionment states is within "Coombe Park" and describes as "Dairy and ground adjoining", in use as gardens. This building may be the structure referred to as the dairy, although this is not clear. The land is associated with a large house to the south (MEM) and is owned and occupied by the Reverend John James Scott. There is a note adjacent to the site that reads "Several alterations took place about this House during the time of Survey / marked on the ground + all right now."  The building is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, but without the porch extension (so having a simple circular plan form). This is repeated on the modern MasterMap data. [4-6]
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 9 June 1995.
- <2> SEM8118 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1804. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map - Barnstaple, Devon. 1:63,360. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1312.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7364 4757 (12m by 10m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/2/56
Record last edited
Mar 7 2017 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.