MEM23793 - 19th Century gate piers southwest of Combepark Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch drawing of 1804, although this may be due to the scale of the map involved.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth depicts a pair of gate piers flanking the routeway to the main complex of buildings at Combe Park, from where it exits Combepark Wood and crosses the parkland. These are situated at SS 7377 4763.  The gate piers are no longer depicted on later maps to which the HER has access, although they may still have been extant. The routeway shown on the Tithe Map still appears to be in use. [3-5]
- <1> SEM8118 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1804. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map - Barnstaple, Devon. 1:63,360. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7377 4763 (7m by 9m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 7 2017 1:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.