MSO10857 - Pixton Park House, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (AD 18th Century to Modern - 1760 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- FARMHOUSE (AD 16th Century to AD 17th Century - 1500 AD? to 1699 AD? (Unclassified))
- ORCHARD (AD 17th Century to AD 18th Century - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD? (Unclassified))
- OFFICE (AD 18th Century to AD 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1899 AD? (Unclassified))
Pixton Park is a country house, built in circa 1760 and altered internally circa 1820. It was altered internally again in 1870, when a west wing with a billiard room was added, the entrance was resited on the north front, and the entrance hall with service wing was added on the east side. The house was built for the Acland family and altered by the Earl of Carnarvon. Internally, there are some early 19th century plaster cornices in the south front rooms, and there was a white marble chimney piece in the dining room, which was removed after former listing. It is believed that the house was originally entered on the east front via a courtyard formed from two flanking service wings that were demolished in 1870. Pixton Park was inherited by Colonel Molyneux Herbert who lies in the memorial chapel in Brushford Church.  Pixton Estate came to the Acland family as part of the dowry of Elizabeth Dyke on her marriage in 1745 to Sir Thomas Acland. The Earls of Carnarvon acquired Pixton by marriage in 1796.  The Gheld Inquest (1084) and the Domesday Survey (1086) both mention a small landholding at Pixton (Potesdone), implying a possible small settlement. Pixton remained a separate manor, and is mentioned in the 1327 lay subsidy. However, the location of any early settlement within the area, which later became the park, is not known.  There are 16th and 17th Century references to a farm at Pixton, and a description of the Barber family's holding of Pixton consists of 'a dwelling house, two new barns, stables and other outhouses, garden and orchard'. The mansion house and stables were built after Pixton passed to the Aclands in 1746. On a map of 1800, 'Pixton Mansion House, offices, stables, gardens, shrubbery' are marked. The alterations to Pixton Mansion, in 1870, included new servants' quarters and a change to the drive to allow more convenient access for guests arriving by train. The house was updated again in 1922, with central heating and additional buildings. During the Second World War, the servants' quarters were converted to flats and rented out.  The building was not visited during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SSO352 Article in serial: 1931. Somersetshire, Country Houses and Villages.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . District of West Somerset. -/08/1986. P.50.
- <4> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books.
- <5> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.11, 14-19.
- <6> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.7, 11, 14.
- <7> SEM7050 Report: Bernhardt, H.. 2005. Historical Report, Pixton Park.
- <8> SEM6766 Report: Richardson, I.. 2007. Pixton Stables, The Laundry and the Potting Shed: An Archaeological Report on the Buildings.
- <9> SEM7193 Report: Best, J. and Farnell, A.. 2009. Archaeological trench evaluation and watching brief on land at Pixton Stables, Jury Road, Dulverton, Somerset. P.1.
- <10> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.19, 20, 45, Photographs.
- <11> SEM7541 Monograph: Siraut, M.. 2009. Exmoor: The Making of an English Upland. Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1st Edition. P.99-100, 157.
- <12> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9248 2717 (54m by 49m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Parent of: 1, Jury Lodge, Pixton Park (Building) (MSO10855)
- Parent of: 2, Jury Lodge, Pixton Park (Building) (MSO10856)
- Parent of: Gate pier, Jury Lodges, Pixton Park (Building) (MEM22706)
- Parent of: Gated entrance to Pixton Park (Building) (MSO10827)
- Parent of: Iron Room, Catholic Chapel, Pixton Park (Monument) (MEM22011)
- Parent of: Laundry at Pixton Stables, Dulverton (Building) (MEM21984)
- Parent of: Pixton Park House Gardens, Dulverton (Monument) (MEM21982)
- Parent of: Pixton Park, Dulverton (Monument) (MSO9334)
- Parent of: Pixton Stables, Pixton Park (Building) (MSO10858)
- Parent of: Potting Shed at Pixton Stables, Dulverton (Building) (MEM21985)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1648/9/86
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31418
Record last edited
Mar 25 2020 1:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.