MEM21982 - Pixton Park House Gardens, Dulverton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- GARDEN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- GARDEN BUILDING (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- BARN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- SHRUBBERY (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- FOOTPATH (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
A description of the Barber family's holding of Pixton consists of 'a dwelling house, two new barns, stables and other outhouses, garden and orchard'. On a map of 1800, 'Pixton Mansion House, offices, stables, gardens, shrubbery' are marked. The gardens are shown as formally laid out and fenced along two sides rather than walled. The L-shaped structures adjacent to the garden are barns and other garden related buildings. The house and garden are surrounded by a shrubbery.  The garden has developed from 1800 onwards, from a fully functioning walled garden under the Aclands, with the additional of garden buildings under the Carnarvons, and an increased number of paths towards the end of the 19th Century. Also, in the 19th Century, the garden on the west side was converted to an open area with a path to the drive, with the option of going down to the house or along the drive to the main stable block.  A cobbled surface, interpreted as a path, was uncovered during an archaeological evaluation and watching brief as part of the conversion of the laundry and potting shed. 
- <1> SEM7050 Report: Bernhardt, H.. 2005. Historical Report, Pixton Park. P.8, 10.
- <2> SEM6766 Report: Richardson, I.. 2007. Pixton Stables, The Laundry and the Potting Shed: An Archaeological Report on the Buildings. P.3, 26.
- <3> SEM7193 Report: Best, J. and Farnell, A.. 2009. Archaeological trench evaluation and watching brief on land at Pixton Stables, Jury Road, Dulverton, Somerset. P.2, 3.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9258 2727 (179m by 125m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
May 12 2014 3:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.