MSO10858 - Pixton Stables, Pixton Park (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The stables to Pixton Park are now a dwelling. They were built in the mid 18th Century and altered in the late 20th Century. The building is U-plan with symmetrical wings at the rear. It has a pyramid slate roofed square bell-cote. There are 16th and 17th Century references to a farm at Pixton, and a description of the Barber family's holding of Pixton consists of 'a dwelling house, two new barns, stables and other outhouses, garden and orchard'. The mansion house and stables were built after Pixton passed to the Aclands in 1746. On a map of 1800, 'Pixton Mansion House, offices, stables, gardens, shrubbery' are marked. In 1922, the house was updated with a large garage, coach house, stabling for six or more horses and a laundry. In 1946, a scullery and a bathroom were added to the stable cottages. After obtaining permission to have the stable wing converted into a dwelling, the stable building and some adjoining land were sold off separately from Pixton Park in about 1982. The stable wing and the three cottages were integrated into one dwelling.  The stables were not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.7.
- <3> SEM7050 Report: Bernhardt, H.. 2005. Historical Report, Pixton Park. P.5, 8, 11, Plans.
- <4> SEM6766 Report: Richardson, I.. 2007. Pixton Stables, The Laundry and the Potting Shed: An Archaeological Report on the Buildings.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9259 2718 (43m by 32m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1648/9/87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31419
Record last edited
May 27 2014 2:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.