MMO332 - Medieval or post-medieval quarry and hollow ways south of Wallover Down Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Irregular quarried depression with low banks were noted on aerial photographs. [1-3] An area of quarrying and hollow ways or tracks to the south of Wallover Down Gate is centred at SS 68953930. The complex is depicted by . In detail it consists of a stone quarry on the eastern side of the modern road at SS 6896 3926, with a spoil mound adjacent to it on the opposite side of the road. At least two narrow hollow ways, up to 2.5 metres wide and up to 1.2 metres deep, traverse the southern slopes of Goat Combe to give access to the ford at Wallover Down Gate. One of these has been cut through by the quarry, and must therefore predate it.  The quarry and hollow ways recorded above are clearly visible on aerial photographs. The quarry is also depicted and annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it was in use at this point, and possibly through the post-medieval period. The hollow ways are clearly of an earlier date, and may be medieval or post medieval. [5-7] The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels quarries on both sides of the road, whereas the 2nd Edition map only shows a quarry on the eastern side, at SS 6894 3924. [6,8] The site is recorded as "old quarry" on the 1963 Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. 
- <1> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM 14/053 (May 1977).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4141 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS 6839B, SS 6939D.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 December 1992.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 19-20 (30 March 1996).
- <6> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- <7>XY SMO7571 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 63 NE. MD002188. [Mapped feature: #35293 ]
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6895 3921 (158m by 268m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=925338 (Pastscape entry: 925338)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32562
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/69
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11655
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21208
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 63 NE22
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 925338
Record last edited
Jan 21 2019 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.