MMO333 - Post-medieval quarrying on Wallover Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
SS 6931 3903. The 6 inch 1905 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels "old quarries". They are depicted but not labelled on the 6 inch 1963 map. SS 6943 3911. Both the 1905 and 1963 maps depicts and labels earthwork features as "old quarries". [1,2] A complex of quarries is centred at SS 6930 3904 on Wallover Down. The group, covering an area of approximately 75 by 44 metres, consists of at least four surface quarries with associated access tracks and spoil dumps. Also associated with the group is a small rectangular hollow 5.7 by 3.2 metres amd 0.5 metres deep. On its south and north sides are spreads of material which may be spoil dumps. The feature may either be a small surface delve or quarry, or the remains of a small shelter. There are a number of other quarries visible on Wallover Down.  The quarries described above are clearly visible on aerial photographs, situated on Wallover Down between two areas of abandoned field systems. They vary in size from 5 to 35 metres across, and several are depicted but not annotated on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting they were abandoned prior to publication. There is no indication as to what material was extracted here, but given the prioximity of the abandoned field systems, the quarries are likely to have provided building stone for boundary walls and enclosures. [4-6]
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 10NE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 December 1992.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4101-02 (19 May 1947).
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6>XY SMO7571 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 63 NE. MD002188. [Mapped feature: #33296 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6936 3903 (176m by 236m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=925423 (Pastscape entry: 925423)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32563
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32564
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 51294
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/111
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/70
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/71
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11656
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21209
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21210
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21498
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 63 NE23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 925423
Record last edited
Jan 21 2019 1:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.