MSO7667 - World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An underground structure identified from 1946 aerial photographs with two structures visible on the top. One appears to be a rectangular pit, the other a similar shaped area of concrete.  Possibly still visible in 1993.  The mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The mound is centred at SS 9345 4819 and measures about 32m long by 16m wide. A structure on the north side was probably the observation post for the adjacent target railway (MSO7665). [1,3,4] Centred at SS 93455 48199 is a substantial flat topped earthen mound. It is overgrown with gorse and is difficult to observe, nevertheless it measures 37 m by 28 m and stands to 3.9 m high. On its summit is a 5.3 m length of mortared stone walling just visible through the turf. At each end this walling returns for about 2 m before continuing as slight earthen banks, which become lost in the gorse. To the south is a stony bank 6 m long and 0.6 m high.This feature is best interpreted as an observation post, probably associated with the WWII tank training ranges on North Hill.  This site was not visited, but it is likely to be an observation/target operating dugout for Range A, associated with the firing triangle at MSO7678. The rectangular pit described above tends to indicate that this might be a pull-up target dugout, similar to those to the west of both Range A and Range B moving targets. 
- <1> SSO364 Aerial photograph: July 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1655 4005 to 4013. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 11-JUL-1946.
- <2> SSO405 Aerial photograph: 1993. SCC Geonex Run 3. 85.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 163-164 17-APR-1979.
- <4> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP).
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 26 Feb 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SSO1284 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 7/6/2006. Staff comments.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 93463 48203 (58m by 47m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: World War Two tracks west of East Myne (Monument) (MSO7674)
- Part of: Tank training circuit A on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7678)
- Part of: Target railway A at East Myne (Monument) (MSO7665)
- Related to: World War Two observation post east of East Myne Farm (Monument) (MSO7668)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7669)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7670)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7671)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1124600 (Original Monarch entry: 1124600)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167604 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167604)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO780
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12337
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW116
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167604
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1124600
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35525
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.