MSO7678 - Tank training circuit A on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A World War Two tank training circuit centred at SS 9304 4775. It is one of three such circuits built on North Hill. They are all triangular in plan, with sides 140 metres long, and each comprises a carefully constructed roadway up to 1 metre high and 6 metres wide, usually built of quarried stone ballast. Each circuit operated in conjunction with a target railway some 550 metres away.  Known as Range A firing triangle.  The tank circuit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. A source suggests that these were possibly built by conscientious objectors during the war. [3-7] The feature is visible on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 May 1998.
- <2> SSO1281 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 14/6/2006. A. email to SCC.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3013-3014 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS9347/1 (18047/18) (19 May 1998).
- <5> SEM7687 Website: 2007. http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/exmoor/parsonssummary2.htm#2/2.
- <6> SMO7538 Digital archive: 2002. Defence of Britain. DEB01.
- <7> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <8>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #46802 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9304 4775 (176m by 181m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132199 (Pastscape entry: 1132199)
- DoB Non Anti Invasion Database UID: 96
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO835
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12324
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW140
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132199
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35512
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 1:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.