MSO7674 - World War Two tracks west of East Myne (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A track runs through improved pasture fields from SS 92524 48304 to SS 92997 48395. It was constructed during World War Two to provide access to the target railway (MSO7665) at East Myne. It now comprises a mainly stoned track some 4 metres wide. A second track leads off Hill Road at SS 9255 4789 to provide access to the World War Two installations around West Myne. Part of it is now a metalled road for farm access.  The track referred to above  is visible on aerial photographs. It extends from SS 9252 4829 to SS 9301 4839. [2,3] The track as described above is shown on 2018 MasterMap data.  Aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1946-8 show that the track continued east from SS 9292 4839, reaching the target railway at SS 9303 4839 and passing around the north of the site, ending at the observation post (MSO7667) at SS 9348 4821. Tracks from the vehicles that have used the route have spread to either side of it in some areas. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 February 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 194-).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 162-163 (17 April 1979).
- <4> SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <6>XY SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. [Mapped feature: #46216 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 93004 48313 (969m by 200m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1124811 (Original Monarch entry: 1124811)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA168306 (National Trust HER entry: MNA168306)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO787
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12640
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW123
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA168306
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1124811
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35851
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 1:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.