MSO7668 - World War Two observation post east of East Myne Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 93075 48270, to the east of East Myne farm, is a substantial earthen mound. It measures 36 metres by 22 metres and stands to 3 metres high on the downslope side. On the summit of the mound is a stony bank 6.5 metres long and 0.9 metres high. On the southern face of the mound is a `staple-shaped' revetment wall (ie a length of wall with short returns at either end). It is 8.2 metres long and 0.5 metres high. Several pieces of concrete are visible on the eastern side of the mound. The mound is best interpreted as an observation post associated with the World War Two tank training circuits on North Hill.  The mound referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The mound is centred at SS 9308 4827 and measures about 25 metres long by 16 metres wide and is as described above. [2-4]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 February 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 163-164 (17 April 1979).
- <4>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #46810 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 93081 48271 (44m by 44m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Part of: World War Two tank training range at Bossington and North Hill and Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MMO627)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7667)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7670)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7669)
- Related to: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7671)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1124606 (Original Monarch entry: 1124606)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167606 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167606)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO781
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12637
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW117
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167606
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1124606
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35848
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 4:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.