MSO7665 - Target railway A at East Myne (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
World War II target railway, with a location sketch plan. This is located by, and associated with the other tank training facilities on North Hill. The target railway was constructed during 1939 to 1945 and is currently in a poor condition.  A WWII Target Railway at East Myne, running for 90 metres from SS 93066 48361 to SS 93284 48295. The railway has been removed and now consists only of a smoothed terrace 13 metres wide along the hillside. At either end are substantial earthen mounds (MSO7664 and MSO7666) [2,3] The target railway referred to above is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The terrace on which the railway was constructed is centred at SS 9316 4833 and measures 36m long by 15m wide. [4,5] One of three trackways used to move targets used for tank gunnery training. Destroyed but traces can be seen on 1993 aerial photographs.  This is the site of the moving target rail for Range A, associated with the firing track MSO7678. 
- <1> SMO7538 Digital archive: 2002. Defence of Britain. DEB01. 78.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 February 1998.
- <3> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. SS 94 NW ?.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 162-163 (17 April 1979).
- <6> SSO405 Aerial photograph: 1993. SCC Geonex Run 3. 85.
- <7> SSO1284 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 7/6/2006. Staff comments. Email to SCC.
- <8> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 93177 48333 (302m by 133m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: World War Two mound at the eastern end of Target Railway A (Monument) (MSO7666)
- Parent of: World War Two mound at western end of Target Railway A (Monument) (MSO7664)
- Parent of: World War Two observation post on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7667)
- Parent of: World War Two tracks west of East Myne (Monument) (MSO7674)
- Part of: World War Two tank training range at Bossington and North Hill and Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MMO627)
- Related to: Tank training circuit A on North Hill (Monument) (MSO7678)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1124052 (Pastscape entry: 1124052)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167602 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167602)
- DoB Non Anti Invasion Database UID: 78
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MEM23312
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO779
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12336
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW114
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW118
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167602
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1124052
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1411360
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35524
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.