MMO1492 - World War Two mound associated with tank training activities on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A possible Second World War mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photography. The mound is centred at SS 9302 4843 and is defined by a linear bank which measures 27 metres long by 5 metres wide and is orientated roughly east to west. The function of the mound is unclear but its proximity to the Second World target railway (MSO7665) may suggest a possible observation post and is likely to be associated with the tank training activities (MSO7616). The linear mound was still extant on aerial photographs taken in 1979. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 162-163 (17 April 1979).
- <3> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9302 4843 (40m by 20m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1455037 (Original Monarch entry: 1455037)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW191
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1455037
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.