MSO7664 - World War Two mound at western end of Target Railway A (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A flat topped earthen mound measuring 18 metres by 9 metres and up to 3.7 metres high. On its northern side is the western end of a target railway (MSO7665), and it is clear that this mound served as protection for the target and its operators. It may well have contained a structure, as there are several large pieces of reinforced concrete nearby.  Probably the site of the dugout used to house the target trolleys used on the moving target railway associated with Range A. This would have been a reinforced concrete structure, protected by a large mound.The site was destroyed by explosives.  The mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The mound is centred at SS 9303 4863 and measures 36 metres long by 15 metres wide. A structure on the north side of the mound probably housed the target trolleys used on the moving target railway (MSO7665). [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 February 1998.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Adrian James, Site visit report, 16 February 1998.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 162-163 (17 April 1979).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #42975 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 93039 48369 (49m by 34m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1124034 (Pastscape entry: 1124034)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167601 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167601)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO778
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12635
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW113
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167601
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1124034
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35846
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 4:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.