MSO7660 - Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A bowl barrow 13 paces in diameter and 3 feet high (Minehead Without 8). Visited By Grinsell 11 September 1959.  One of a pair of confluent bowl barrows. Has a large hole in the centre and partly overlies a smaller bowl barrow to the west (MSO11436), thought to be a spoil heap by Grinsell (Minehead Without 8a).  One of a pair of confluent cairns. It has a hollow centre and heather and gorse have grown up the sides to partly cover the hollow.  The mound 1.05 metres high and 12 metres across with hole in centre exposing stones. Second small mound 0.9 metres high with hole in the north side.  Incorrectly identified as Grinsell's Minehead Without 5 by the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division and D Thackray.  A large cairn, part of a group east of Selworthy Beacon, was recorded as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The cairn was recorded using differential GPS and lies at NGR SS 92502 47907. It comprises a stony mound, covered with gorse and heather, with stone exposed in the centre. The mound is 12 metres in diameter and 1.1 metres high. The centre of the cairn has been dug out, creating a large depression, 5.7 metres in diameter and 1.2 metres deep. The spoil from this hole has been piled up on the west and east sides of the cairn in the form of two mounds (MSO11436 & MSO11437).  Scheduling revised with new national number (was Somerset 345) on 3 September 2002.  The cairn is depicted on the Ordnace Survey 1st edition map.  SS 925 479. Group of Cairns East of Selworthy Beacon. Scheduled.  Of the group of 11 cairns on the ridge of Selworthy Beacon, 2 or 3 were open in 1807 by Richard Fenton. Only charcoal was recovered.  The cairn is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The cairn is centred at SS 9250 4791 and is as described in source . The confluent circular mound to the west (SS 9249 4791, MSO11436) measures about 7 metres in diameter and the mound to east (SS 9251 4791, MSO11437) measures 7 metres long by 5 metres wide. [12-14] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 7.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 8.  The feature is the most central and largest of three roughly circular features depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data and labelled "Tumuli". 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 7, 36.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 July 1965.
- <3> SSO341 Unassigned: July 1976. NT Ancient Monuments Record.
- <4> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 5 April 1984.
- <6> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <7> SSO1162 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 16/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council (16/9/2002) in HER files.
- <8> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 34(3).
- <9> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 20.
- <10> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978.
- <11> SEM7688 Monograph: Barrister, A.. 1811. A Tour in Quest of Geneology, through several parts of Wales, Somersetshire, and Wiltshire. Sherwood, Neely and Jones. P. 131.
- <12> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9248/1/208 (SF1459) (1 March 1979).
- <13> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <14> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <15> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <16> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <17>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38504 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 92507 47908 (13m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (12)
- Parent of: Post-medieval or modern excavation spoil heap west of burial cairn (Monument) (MSO11436)
- Parent of: Post-medieval or modern excavation spoil heap west of burial cairn (Monument) (MSO11437)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7661)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7662)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7663)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7654)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7655)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7656)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7657)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7658)
- Related to: Bronze Age burial cairn at Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7659)
- Related to: Selworthy Beacon (Monument) (MSO7653)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1123254 (Original Monarch entry: 1123254)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO774
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11435
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7578
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW109
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1123254
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36806
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33809
Record last edited
Nov 17 2020 1:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.