MSO11436 - Post-medieval or modern excavation spoil heap west of burial cairn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Mound c.10 paces diameter and 2 feet high (Minehead Without 8a). Very large hole in centre. Uncertain whether it is a barrow or a spoil heap.  Is the west barrow of a pair of confluent barrows, overlain by larger barrow (MSO7660).  Completely covered with gorse and heather.  Cigar shaped mound 0.6 metres high.  Incorrectly identified as Grinsell's Minehead Without 5 by Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division and D Thackray.  A spoil heap from the excavation of MSO7660.  Scheduling revised with new national number (was Somerset 345) on 3 September 2002.  The spoil heap was noted on aerial photographs as an earthwork at SS 9249 4791, measuring about 7 metres in diameter. [10-12]
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 36.
- <2> SSO1746 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94NW. 15.
- <3> SSO341 Unassigned: July 1976. NT Ancient Monuments Record. 115489.
- <4> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 5 April 1984.
- <6> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 20.
- <7> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 7.
- <8> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. SS 94 NW109.
- <9> SSO1162 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 16/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council (16/9/2002) in HER files.
- <10> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9248/1/208 (SF1459) (1 March 1979).
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <12>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #34071 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9249 4791 (8m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1123254 (Original Monarch entry: 1123254)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167597 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167597)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW109
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167597
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1123254
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33810
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.