MSO11437 - Post-medieval or modern excavation spoil heap west of burial cairn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Mound c2ft high (Minehead Without 8b). Very large hollow in the centre. Uncertain as to whether it is a barrow or a spoil heap. Material being taken from MSO7660 (Minehead Without 8).  Is a rectangular mound certainly composed of material taken from the centre of the barrow to the west.  Completely covered by young gorse and heather. Stones have been uncovered in one place.  Mound 0.75 metres high and 15 metres diameter with large hollow in centre.  Wrongly identified as Grinsell's Minehead Without 6 by Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division and D Thackray.  A spoil heap from the excavation of MSO7660.  Scheduling revised with new national number (was Somerset 345) on 3 September 2002.  The mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs at SS 9251 4791 and measures 7 metres long by 5 metres wide. [10-12]
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 36.
- <2> SSO1746 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94NW. 15.
- <3> SSO341 Unassigned: July 1976. NT Ancient Monuments Record. 115489 / MNA167597.
- <4> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 6 April 1984.
- <6> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 20.
- <7> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 7.
- <8> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 94 NW109.
- <9> SSO1162 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 16/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council (16/9/2002) in HER files.
- <10> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9248/1/208 (SF1459) (1 March 1979).
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <12>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #34072 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9251 4791 (10m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1123254 (Original Monarch entry: 1123254)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167597 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167597)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW109
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167597
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1123254
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33811
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.