MEM24765 - Burrow Farm, Wootton Courtenay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay, abutting the Parish boundary. It included a farmhouse (MSO10623), a barn that may have previously served as a medieval farmhouse (MSO10624), outbuildings (MEM24766), a ruined outbuilding (MEM24764) and a walled garden (MEM24763).  The site is also shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and labelled "Burrow".  The main buildings at the farmstead shown on the Tithe Map appear to be mostly extant on the 2018 MasterMap data (see individual records for details).  Elements of the farmstead were researched as part of a desk based assessment and a survey of the walled garden undertaken in 2006.  Burrow Farm was part of the Wootton Courtenay Estate and was sold at auction by James Huntly Dutton on Wednesday 14th April 1921, as lot 12. A picture of the farmstead is shown in the sales particulars. 
- <1> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 556-558.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM7013 Report: South West Archaeology. c.2006. Burrow Farm, Wootton Courtenay, Somerset: Results of an Archaeological Desk-Based Study and Survey of the Walled Garden.
- <5> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball. 15, illustration 18.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9383 4211 (92m by 122m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (9)
- Parent of: 19th Century water meadow at Burrow Farm (Monument) (MSO6301)
- Parent of: 19th Century water meadow northeast of Burrow Farm (Monument) (MMO2688)
- Parent of: Burrow Farmhouse, Wootton Courtenay (Building) (MSO10623)
- Parent of: Medieval farmhouse, now barn, at Burrow Farm (Building) (MSO10624)
- Parent of: Medieval or post-medieval building at Burrow Farm (Monument) (MEM24767)
- Parent of: Medieval or post-medieval wooden buildings at Burrow Farm (Monument) (MEM24768)
- Parent of: Post-medieval farm building at Burrow Farm (Building) (MEM24764)
- Parent of: Post-medieval outbuildings at Burrow Farm (Building) (MEM24766)
- Parent of: Post-medieval walled garden at Burrow Farm (Building) (MEM24763)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 8:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.