MSO10624 - Medieval farmhouse, now barn, at Burrow Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse, now barn. C15 altered to barn subsequently and enlarged probably C18. Rendered over cob and rubble, steeply pitched corrugated iron roof extended as catslide over addition. Plan: 5 bays with central lean-to addition on facade, possibly originally 2 storey at either end with central open hall and linking gallery subsequently much altered and only north-east end now 2 storey. Two storeys, small window opening first floor left of full height raking buttress, window opening below, original entrance to right, lean-to addition, double door of threshing barn with pentice hood porch, first floor winodw to right and door beyond. Left return gable end, wooden 4-light trefoil headed mullioned window, similar window on rear elevation with 4 trefoiled heads, but only 2 mullions, much eroded, 2-light octagonal mullioned window also at rear, similar 4-light in right gable end. Interior: 5 bays, 2 and a half pairs of smoke blackened jointed cruck trusses, plank and muntin screen with shouldered and chamfered doorway, blocked rear entrance to screens passage, inserted double doors of threshing barn at lower end. (VAG Reports, unpublished SRO, October 1972, April 1973; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 95, 1950).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265399. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  Open hall. Earth, Stone, Render walls. Cruck, Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted but not labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #40049 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9383 4212 (22m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=542515 (Original Monarch entry: 542515)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 444/6/116
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6274
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW76
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 83261
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 542515
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31103
Record last edited
May 27 2021 1:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.