Principal Archaeological Landscape: Badgworthy Hill
Exmoor National Park Authority
01 January 2011
Date last amended
The PAL is located on the southern slopes of Badgworthy Hill, running down to Hoccombe Water.
Description of Archaeology
The area contains two prehistoric enclosures and the remains of a single longhouse with associated field system including ridge and furrow.
The two prehistoric enclosures within this PAL are unusual and unlikely to represent settlement because of their ridge top location. The medieval longhouse and associated field system are an unusual survival and the earthworks are complete and well preserved. Recently the longhouse has been identified with Edwin who farmed at Lacoma in 1086 (Domesday Book). Hoskins has erroneously attributed this to Lankcombe but it is now
thought to refer to Lanacombe, just south of the PAL. If this is correct the ability to relate the earthworks to a Domesday farmstead is highly significant.