MDE12637 - Bronze Age burial cairn on southern slopes of Badgworthy Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A low, circular, cairn is centred at SS 7881 4350 on the southern slopes of Badgworthy Hill, some 120 metres southeast of the rectangular building (MDE1277). It is 5.3 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high, and its centre is disturbed by a sub-rectantular hollow, with an upcast rim. The feature appears to be a prehistoric burial cairn, possibly robbed during the construction of the boundary wall to its south, or by the use of the area by the military during WW2 (see MSO7776). Several narrow slots near the cairn confirm its use during World War Two. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The cairn described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs. It lies within an area of numerous impact craters, presumably associated with the Exmoor Firing Range (MSO7776), and was most likely damaged by this activity. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The cairn is depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 April 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 679-80 (17 April 1973).
- <3> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1038413, Extant 16 June 2021.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #43115 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7880 4349 (14m by 12m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1038413 (Pastscape entry: 1038413)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO479
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE112
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1038413
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 1:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.