MDE12825 - Prehistoric standing stone southwest of Badgworthy Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 78596 43549 is a prehistoric standing stone. It is 0.3 metres high, 0.05 metres thick and 0.16 metres long. It is well worn, rectangular in section and leans slightly to the west. It lies within an area of ridging comprising part of the field system (MDE1277) associated with the alleged longhouse. The ploughing furrows seem to have avoided the stone. Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [1,2] Survey in 2003 showed that the stone has been broken since it was last surveyed. The stump of the stone could not be found.  Further survey work was undertaken in 2012. The top section of the stone was partly buried; just below, another stone (thought to be a trigger stone) is almost completely buried. The stone itself is in fair condition and stable in situ.  Centred at SS 78597 43557 is a small nearly buried block/post of hangman grits on Hoccombe Hill, north of Lanacombe on a south facing slope, overlooking the water. The stone measures 0.3 x 0.15 x 0.5m, and is very difficult to locate as it is recumbent and hidden under turf and vegetation. The identification of this site as a standing stone is highly dubious and it may be that this is a misidentified/miss-located stone, as it looks very little like the example in 2003 , but the measurements do correlate with the survey of 2012. The broken bottom stub of the stone was not located. The stone is now completely covered by heather and turf. However, no other risks or damage were apparent.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7262 Technical drawing: Wilson-North, R. and Best, J.E.. 1996. Badgworthy Environs/pencil survey. Pencil.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 June 1995.
- <3> SEM6936 Report: Dray, K.. 2003. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Badgworthy Land Company Owned Land, Exmoor. P. 45.
- <4> SEM7915 Report: Slater, E.. 2012. A condition survey of standing stones on Badgworthy Land Company owned land, Exmoor National Park. p60.
- <5>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MDE12825. [Mapped feature: #45458 Recumbent Stone, MDE12825]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042744, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7859 4355 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042744 (Pastscape entry: 1042744)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE145
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042744
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 2:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.