MDE12823 - Possible prehistoric cairn west of Badgworthy Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
About 40 paces west of MDE1273, a stone faced oval barrow, 11 paces by 6 paces, with a robber hole at the upper (north) end.  This site was not identified by Mcdonnell on aerial photographs or during fieldwork for craags exmoor survey.  Centred at SS 7864 4376, 46 metres to the northwest of MDE1273, is an elongated stony mound. It is 9.2 metres by 5.4 metres and is 0.4 metres high. The surface of the feature is disturbed. A confident classification of the mound cannot be made; it may however be a prehistoric cairn.  An elongated stony mound is visible on the summit of Hoccombe Hill, measuring 9.2 metres by 5.4 metres by 0.4 metres high with surface disturbance. The date and function of the monument is unclear, it may well be a prehistoric cairn, probably dating to the Bronze Age.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is depicted and labelled "Cairn" on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SDE1142 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H. & Mold, E.. 1981. Worksheet 04/07/1981.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North, 26 April 1994.
- <4> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042627, Extant 16 June 2021.
- <6>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38756 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7863 4376 (8m by 8m) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042627 (Pastscape entry: 1042627)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SE/27
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 14133
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20389
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO488
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE143
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042627
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 2:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.