MSO10928 - Warren Farm, Exmoor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Built by John Knight 1844-45 at a cost of 331.  Situated in area called "The Warren". Associated sites include seven pillow mounds (E.G. MSO10930), earthworks (MSO10937 and MSO10938), enclosures (MSO10950, MSO10951 and MSO10953) and leats (E.G. MSO10952). Also possible prehistoric settlement and field system as well as post-medieval settlement remains (MSO10929 and MSO10959).  A very good and little altered example of one of the reclamation farmsteads. Only the eastern range is missing. Listed building. N.B. This site was not listed in March 2020, and had not been previously. [3,4, 13] Underground chamber revealed during alterations - possibly an icehouse.  Behind the house are a quadrangle of farm buildings, sheltered by beech trees. The farm is recorded as measuring 500 acres and employing 6 labourers in 1851. The fam is still in use (in 2013).  The farmstead and wider farm is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The farmstead is shown on 2018 MasterMap data. Further built additions have been made to the north and northeast of the main farm complex.  The farmstead was put up for sale by tender in April 1983.  Warren Farm was built by John Knight between 1844 and 1848 in an area known as "The Warren". It is noted as a good and little altered example of one of the reclamation farmsteads. Place name evidence, as well as the presence of numerous pillow mounds and associated earthworks suggests that a settlement existed here prior to the Knight family's acquisition of the land. [1,3,4,11,12] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8062 Monograph: Orwin, C. S., Sellick, R. and Bonham-Carter, V.. 1997. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest edn). Exmoor Books. 3rd Edition. 66, 78 and 97.
- <2> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33067.
- <3> SSO416 Photograph: 1984. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.014.0087-0089.
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 39-40 (site 225).
- <5> SSO1163 Unpublished document: ENP. 1988. ENP to CPO. PRN 33067.
- <6> SSO1240 Article in serial: Harvey, N.. The Farmsteads of the Exmoor Reclamation. Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group. 3. 45-7.
- <7> SEM7997 Monograph: Siraut, M.. Royal Forest, Exmoor: A guide to the Royal Forest of Exmoor. Exmoor National Park Authority. 27-8.
- <8>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46505 Main farmstead, ]
- <9> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <10> SEM8765 Unpublished document: Phillips, Sanders & Stubbs. 1983. Warren Farm, Simonsbath, Exford.
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 167-68 (27 April 1964).
- <12> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <13> SEM340748 Unpublished document: Whittaker, C.. 2020. Warren Farm, Exmoor.
- <14> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1101986, Extant 2 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7937 4068 (966m by 650m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (9)
- Parent of: 19th Century contour leat at Warren Farm (Monument) (MSO10941)
- Parent of: 19th Century mill leat serving Warren Farm (Monument) (MSO10952)
- Parent of: Post medieval water meadow system Prayway Meads to Warren Farm (Monument) (MMO2354)
- Parent of: Post-medieval catchwork gutter south and west of Warren Farm (Monument) (MSO10939)
- Parent of: Post-medieval catchwork gutter south and west of Warren Farm (Monument) (MSO10940)
- Related to: A post medieval water meadow system, known locally... (Monument) (MMO2355)
- Related to: Medieval or post-medieval enclosure at Warren Farm (Monument) (MSO10951)
- Related to: Possible prehistoric, medieval or post-medieval settlement at Warren Farm (Monument) (MSO10937)
- Related to: The Warren (Monument) (MSO6829)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1101986 (Pastscape entry: 1101986)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO611
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6907
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE56
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1101986
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33067
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 1:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.