MSO10941 - 19th Century contour leat at Warren Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Longest contour leat in the system of leats in the area running for about 3 kilometres. Ends at the 19th Century field boundary. Generally 0.6 metres wide with a bank up to 0.4 metres high. Cuts through an enclosure (MSO10951) but is obliterated where the road and 19th Century field boundaries cross it.  Its continuation to the west can be seen on aerial photographs. [2-4] The leat described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs extending for at least 3 kilometres. It most likely represents the feeder gutter or headmain for the extensive catchwater meadow system which stretches across Prayway Meads as far as Warren Farm. N.B. On the NRHE database, a number of the individual leats within this system, including this one, were originally recorded separately and were combined into one record, recorded on the Exmoor HER as MMO2354, for clarity. [5-7]
- <1>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN33080. [Mapped feature: #34522 PRN33080]
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4156.
- <3> SSO245 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 79. 9282.
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 41 (site 229).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 134-136 (12 March 1995).
- <6> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. Monument reference 1102000.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7873 4081 (2280m by 715m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102000 (Pastscape entry: 1102000)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO614
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6910
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1102000
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33080
Record last edited
May 3 2021 9:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.