MSO10937 - Earthworks, Warren Farm, Exmoor (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Complex of earthworks to the S of Warren Farm, between 0.25m and 0.5m high. Possibly four or more sub-rectangular and sub-circular platforms between 12m and 15m across with some short sections of stony banks. Low banks leading away from SW corner of the site. Possibly prehistoric or medieval settlement site. Confused by the end of a leat.  They form a roughly rectangular block measuring approximatley 30m by 25m. At least four sub-rectangular platforms are visible, but they do not form a coherent plan. They are defined by scarps up to 0.6m high cut into the natural slopes, with corresponding scarps on their downslope sides. One of the platforms appears almost sub-circular, but this impression could be the result of animal feeders having been placed on it in the past. The date of these earthworks is uncertain. They seem to pre- date the existing Warren Farm, and are cut by one of the system of catchwater leats. Their most likely context is the medieval or early post-medieval period, and they may be associated with the pillow mounds (PRNs 33069 33070 33071 33072 33073 33074 33075) amongst which they lie. The suggestion that they might be prehistoric is less likely. 
- <1> SSO449 Unassigned: SMR file 33076.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4157.
- <3> SSO245 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 79. 9282.
- <4> SSO416 Photograph: February 198. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.014.0087.
- <5> SSO1384 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management…. 38 (site 221).
- <6> SSO1870 Survey: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 74 SE 44.
- <7> SSO1852 Map: RCHME. 1994. 1:2500 plan.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7941 4065 (61m by 94m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33076
Record last edited
Feb 5 2020 4:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.